Oh my god, the level of relevance is too high for me to handle
Bio, I love that subject.... Jamaican by birth, living in Kagawa-ken, Japan. Was a Registered Nurse. Now an English Teacher. Next a .........
if you dont have me on facebook you are probably not missing out on any posts but the comment section is important too lmao
I went to the Renaissance faire dressed as a warrior. I had a real sword with me, too. I was standing (in character) next to a sword-fighting ring, where kids of all ages got the chance to pick up a sword and challenge the champion. Some woman walks by, with her little girl. The girl starts walking towards the ring, saying she wants to fight. But the mom pulled her away hella sharply, and was like, “That’s for boys.” You don’t want to be a BOY, do you?” And the girl looked around and saw me. I think she thought I was a boy; I had my hair in a ponytail, and was wearing a hood. So she comes up to me and asks me, “Do you think girls can be fighters, too?” And her mom looks like she’s silently gloating. Like she thinks I’m going to say no. So I take off my hood, untie my hair so that it flows freely, and kneel before her. And I’m like, “Milady, anyone can be a fighter.” I swear, the look on that mother’s face made my day.
Hepatitis C Cured In Patients Who Also Have HIV
In a multicenter clinical trial, a combination of two drugs cured the majority of patients infected with both HIV and hepatitis C. Standard hepatitis C drugs are generally effective except in patients who have HIV as well. The treatment is already FDA approved.
Photo Courtesy of Charles Rice
HYDROPHOBIC AMINO ACIDS
do not actually try this
HYDROPHILIC AMINO ACIDS
If (+)ve = basic
If (-)ve = acid
ESSENTIAL AMINO ACIDS
(this one is obviously not mine!)
"As for the people that come on here to ask, “I’m getting around 75% right on UW and I just got a 250 on NBME Form 4, will I pass?” Let me make this very clear to you all. Yes, you will most likely pass, but will you ever get laid? Probably not."
Some amazing person on the website-that-must-not-be-named (*cough*SDN)
ANTIBIOTICS CHEAT SHEET :)
* Sulfonamides compete for albumin with:
- Bilirrubin: given in 2°,3°T, high risk or indirect hyperBb and kernicterus in premies
- Warfarin: increases toxicity: bleeding
* Beta-lactamase (penicinillase) Suceptible:
- Natural Penicillins (G, V, F, K)
- Aminopenicillins (Amoxicillin, Ampicillin)
- Antipseudomonal Penicillins (Ticarcillin, Piperacillin)
* Beta-lactamase (penicinillase) Resistant:
- Oxacillin, Nafcillin, Dicloxacillin
- 3°G, 4°G Cephalosporins
- Beta-lactamase inhibitors
* Penicillins enhanced with:
- Clavulanic acid & Sulbactam (both are suicide inhibitors, they inhibit beta-lactamase)
- Aminoglycosides (against enterococcus and psedomonas)
* Aminoglycosides enhanced with Aztreonam
* Penicillins: renal clearance EXCEPT Oxacillin & Nafcillin (bile)
* Cephalosporines: renal clearance EXCEPT Cefoperazone & Cefrtriaxone (bile)
* Both inhibited by Probenecid during tubular secretion.
* 2°G Cephalosporines: none cross BBB except Cefuroxime
* 3°G Cephalosporines: all cross BBB except Cefoperazone bc is highly highly lipid soluble, so is protein bound in plasma, therefore it doesn’t cross BBB.
* Cephalosporines are ”LAME" bc they do not cover this organisms
- L isteria monocytogenes
- A typicals (Mycoplasma, Chlamydia)
- M RSA (except Ceftaroline, 5°G)
- E nterococci
* Disulfiram-like effect: Cefotetan & Cefoperazone (mnemonic)
* Cefoperanzone: all the exceptions!!!
- All 3°G cephalosporins cross the BBB except Cefoperazone.
- All cephalosporins are renal cleared, except Cefoperazone.
- Disulfiram-like effect
* Against Pseudomonas:
- 3°G Cef taz idime (taz taz taz taz)
- 4°G Cefepime, Cefpirome (not available in the USA)
- Antipseudomonal penicillins
- Aminoglycosides (synergy with beta-lactams)
- Aztreonam (pseudomonal sepsis)
* Covers MRSA: Ceftaroline (rhymes w/ Caroline, Caroline the 5°G Ceph), Vancomycin, Daptomycin, Linezolid, Tigecycline.
* Covers VRSA: Linezolid, Dalfopristin/Quinupristin
* Aminoglycosides: decrease release of ACh in synapse and act as a Neuromuscular blocker, this is why it enhances effects of muscle relaxants.
* DEMECLOCYCLINE: tetracycline that’s not used as an AB, it is used as tx of SIADH to cause Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus (inhibits the V2 receptor in collecting ducts)
* Phototoxicity: Q ue S T ion?
- Q uinolones
- T etracyclines
* p450 inhibitors: Cloramphenicol, Macrolides (except Azithromycin), Sulfonamides
* Macrolides SE: Motilin stimulation, QT prolongation, reversible deafness, eosinophilia, cholestatic hepatitis
* Bactericidal: beta-lactams (penicillins, cephalosporins, monobactams, carbapenems), aminoglycosides, fluorquinolones, metronidazole.
* Baceriostatic: tetracyclins, streptogramins, chloramphenicol, lincosamides, oxazolidonones, macrolides, sulfonamides, DHFR inhibitors.
* Pseudomembranous colitis: Ampicillin, Amoxicillin, Clindamycin, Lincomycin.
* QT prolongation: macrolides, sometimes fluoroquinolones
What is it to finally know? Retrospect is knowing. Fulfilment in knowing. #ohjapan #jamaicaninjapan #sayonara #sayinggoodbyes #blackandwhite